Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Vale ( VALE) pushed the Basic Materials sector higher today making it today's featured basic materials winner. The sector as a whole closed the day up 1.0%. By the end of trading, Vale rose $0.55 (4.0%) to $14.34 on average volume. Throughout the day, 26,901,004 shares of Vale exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 21,504,000 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $13.76-$14.48 after having opened the day at $13.76 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $13.79. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that increased today were: James River Coal Company ( JRCC), up 20.5%, Solitario Exploration & Royalty ( XPL), up 15.3%, Mines Management ( MGN), up 14.7% and Revett Mining Company ( RVM), up 11.4%.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- You can view the full Vale Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.