One Put, One Call Option To Know About For Costco Wholesale

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Costco Wholesale Corp ( COST). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the January 2016 expiration for COST. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $70 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of $1.18. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.7% return against the $70 commitment, or a 0.9% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost COST Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to COST's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Costco Wholesale Corp sees its shares fall 37.4% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $68.82 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the $1.18 from $70), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 0.9% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the January 2016 expiration, for shareholders of Costco Wholesale Corp ( COST) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.1% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $135 strike and collecting the premium based on the $3.20 bid, annualizes to an additional 1.6% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 2.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $135 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but COST shares would have to climb 20.6% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 23.5% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost COST Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Costco Wholesale Corp, highlighting in green where the $70 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $135 strike in red:

If you liked this article you might like

How to Get Rich Using Warren Buffett's Favorite Stock Market Indicators

Strange Days at Apple

How to Live Just Like Billionaire Warren Buffett

How to Make a Deal Like Billionaire Investor Warren Buffett

How to Invest Like Billionaire Warren Buffett