While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Capstead Mortgage Corporation (NYSE: CMO) shares currently have a dividend yield of 10.80%. Capstead Mortgage Corporation operates as a real estate investment trust in the United States. The company has a P/E ratio of 14.04. The average volume for Capstead Mortgage Corporation has been 971,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Capstead Mortgage Corporation has a market cap of $1.2 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are up 4.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Capstead Mortgage Corporation as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its attractive valuation levels, expanding profit margins and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP is currently very high, coming in at 93.21%. Regardless of CMO's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CMO's net profit margin of 63.18% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP has improved earnings per share by 12.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP reported lower earnings of $0.93 versus $1.50 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.39 versus $0.93).
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $67.10 million or 4.58% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, CAPSTEAD MORTGAGE CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Capstead Mortgage Corporation Ratings Report.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 8.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- RIG's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.64 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Despite the fact that RIG's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 1.57 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $773.00 million or 16.25% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 48.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $456.00 million to $233.00 million.
- You can view the full Transocean Ratings Report.
- The gross profit margin for PENNYMAC MORTGAGE INVEST TR is currently very high, coming in at 71.18%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 45.25% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, PENNYMAC MORTGAGE INVEST TR has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- Reflecting the weaknesses we have cited, including the decline in the company's earnings per share, PMT has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 7.73% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- PENNYMAC MORTGAGE INVEST TR's earnings per share declined by 16.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PENNYMAC MORTGAGE INVEST TR reported lower earnings of $3.02 versus $3.08 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 2.3% in earnings ($2.95 versus $3.02).
- You can view the full PennyMac Mortgage Investment Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.