Shareholders of Eagle Materials Inc (EXP - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the October covered call at the $92.50 strike and collect the premium based on the $3.90 bid, which annualizes to an additional 8.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 8.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $92.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but EXP shares would have to advance 11.2% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 15.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Eagle Materials Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for EXP below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.5% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing EXP's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $92.50 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the October covered call at the $92.50 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $92.50. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Eagle Materials Inc (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $83.95) to be 31%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the EXP Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 600,947 contracts, with call volume at 1.02M, for a put:call ratio of 0.59 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
TheStreet’s Fundamentals of Investing Course will teach you the keys to making the right decisions in any market.
TheStreet’s Personal Finance Essentials Course will teach you money management basics and investing strategies to help you avoid major financial pitfalls.
TheStreet Courses offers dedicated classes designed to improve your investing skills, stock market knowledge and money management capabilities.
More from Stocks
Dow Sinks as U.S.-China Trade War Intensifies; Tech Hit by Trade Tensions
Stocks slide Thursday as investors react to the trade war between the United States and China.
JPMorgan Chase: Major Long-Term Top Formation Brewing
Let's see what the charts say about this key financial firm.
For Tesla, China Offers as Many Challenges as Opportunities
Musk's move into China faces pressing macro concerns.
Why Amazon Is Revving Up Its Investments in Electric and Self-Driving Cars
Amazon's investments in the auto business could lay the groundwork for a leaner, more cost-effective commerce division and offer other benefits as well.