4. You may need an accountant for the first time.

If you and your spouse have been comfortable filing individually without an accountant, filing jointly for the first time shouldn't complicate things too much, Luscombe says. But if you also bought a home or had a child in 2013, your tax picture may be more complicated and warrant professional help.

"Marriage alone doesn't really throw a wrench into things -- it's when you get married and have children that things get more complicated," he says.

Ask yourself: How complicated is your tax life? How complicated is the tax life of your spouse? Bell suggests.

"If you married someone who has their own business, their own home, and they also give a lot to charity, then it's going to be a complicated return," Bell says. "It's time that you sit down and talk with a professional to look at what this combined lifestyle is going to do to you as a married couple. A professional can help you run those numbers and mitigate any future tax issues."

5. Take a look at your withholdings for next year.

It's time to go down to HR and fill out a new W4 form, Luscombe says. That's the form you fill out when you start a new job or have a major life change.

"If you are married you have the potential to claim an additional exemption," he explains. In any case, it's a good idea to at least go through the W4 again and see if you need to either lower or increase your withholdings. The idea is to match the amount being withheld to what you expect to pay in taxes so the two work out to be about the same."

A lot of recently married couples may find that their current withholdings aren't going to work for them -- they may end up owing taxes at the end of the year when they previously got refunds, Bell cautions.

"Look at both incomes. Usually, the spouse that makes the most money should take all the withholdings, and the spouse that makes the least should take no exemptions," she explains.

6. Make sure you change your name with the Social Security Administration.

If you changed your name in 2013 and you failed to alert the Social Security Administration, this can throw a wrench into the timeliness of your filing -- and your refund, Luscombe says.

"If your tax return reflects your new name but you didn't notify the Social Security Administration, when the IRS checks out your name and social, it's not going to match," he says. "It's going to get thrown back and you'll probably get a letter from the IRS asking you to explain and correct the problem."

Until the IRS gets an explanation for the error, your refund won't be processed. Thankfully, there's a quick fix -- you can visit ssa.gov and make the changes yourself, Bell says.

"Ssa.gov will walk you through it," she says. "Take the five or 10 minutes to fix it now so that nothing slows down the process for you."

If you liked this article you might like

To Downsize or Not to Downsize: The Retiree's Question

10 Reasons Hiring an Older Worker May be the Best Decision You Ever Make

5 Things Boomer Employees With Millennial Managers Should Never Do

5 Questions to Ask Before You Take the Plunge and Quit Your Day Job

3 Reasons Baby Boomers and Millennials Are More Alike Than Anyone Wants to Admit