Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified AutoNation ( AN) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified AutoNation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- AN has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $33.3 million.
- AN has traded 494,380 shares today.
- AN traded in a range 208% of the normal price range with a price range of $1.53.
- AN traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 10 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 10 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in AN with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for AN NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on AN: AutoNation, Inc., through its subsidiaries, operates as an automotive retailer in the United States. The company operates in three segments: Domestic, Import, and Premium Luxury. AN has a PE ratio of 17.5. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate AutoNation a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold. The average volume for AutoNation has been 908,500 shares per day over the past 30 days. AutoNation has a market cap of $6.3 billion and is part of the services sector and specialty retail industry. The stock has a beta of 0.88 and a short float of 7.9% with 6.28 days to cover. Shares are up 7.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates AutoNation as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations, increase in stock price during the past year and impressive record of earnings per share growth. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 8.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, reflecting both the market's overall trend during that period and the fact that the company's earnings growth has been robust. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- AUTONATION INC has improved earnings per share by 32.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, AUTONATION INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.05 versus $2.53 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.39 versus $3.05).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Specialty Retail industry average. The net income increased by 31.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $83.20 million to $109.40 million.
- You can view the full AutoNation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.