When you play a game of MONOPOLY, do you collect a pile of cash when you land on Free Parking? Do you auction off properties that people don’t purchase immediately? How do you get out of Jail? While MONOPOLY fans may claim to know how to play the game, many actually incorporate their own rules, known as ‘House Rules’ – whether they know it or not. In fact, in a recent survey conducted by Hasbro, 68 percent of Americans admit they’ve never read the official MONOPOLY rules in their entirety and 49 percent said they have made up their own MONOPOLY rules! Knowing that ‘House Rules’ have long been a part of the MONOPOLY gaming tradition, Hasbro is giving MONOPOLY fans around the world an opportunity to “break the rules” by inviting them to help select the top ‘House Rules’ to become a part of future MONOPOLY games. Starting today through April 3, the MONOPOLY Facebook page will host the Great MONOPOLY ‘House Rules’ Debate, with MR. MONOPOLY as the moderator. Fans are encouraged to debate the pros and cons of 10 ‘House Rules’ that were selected as a result of crowdsourcing fans globally on the MONOPOLY Facebook page. As a result of the debate, Hasbro will identify the top ‘House Rules,’ and incorporate them into the MONOPOLY: House Rules Edition game available this Fall. The chosen rules will also be included in the classic MONOPOLY game guide in 2015. While the official MONOPOLY rules will not change, fans who love playing with ‘House Rules’ will now have the opportunity to play them in their game. “The MONOPOLY brand has been has been a pop culture phenomenon for nearly 80 years and ‘House Rules’ have become an important part of the story of the brand,” said Jonathan Berkowitz, vice president of marketing at Hasbro. “We know MONOPOLY fans have been using ‘House Rules’ for generations to make the game their own, so we wanted to give them the chance to help us identify the most popular ‘House Rules’ from around the world to incorporate into the game.”
The ‘House Rules’ included in the Great MONOPOLY ‘House Rules’ Debate are:
- Free Parking, Fast Cash: All taxes and fees will be collected in the middle of the game board, if you land on Free Parking, it’s your lucky day: collect all the money from the middle of the board.
- Dash for the Cash: Landed on Go! Amazing, you get to double your salary – 400M dollars instead of 200M Dollars.
- Frozen Assets Rule: When in jail, a player cannot collect any rent money from other players. Sorry about your luck.
- Lucky Roller: Did you just Roll Snake Eyes (double one’s)… odds are in your favor, collect 500M Dollars.
- 3’s a Crowd: Are there 3 players in a row on 3 unique properties? Well done, each player gets an extra 500M Dollars.
- Cash Advance: Don’t have enough to buy Boardwalk? With this House Rule, players can make loans between each other to co-own properties. Who collects rent money? That’s determined amongst the new property owners!
- Break The Bank: At the start of the game, leave half the money in the bank. Then mix up the other half of the money in the center of a board. On the count of 3 every player grabs what they can! Free For All!
- Mum’s the Word: Mum always gets out of jail free. Always. No questions asked. She’s just that special.
- See the Sights: Players must travel around the board one complete time before they can begin buying properties. Hurry up and get to GO before everyone else!
- Property Boom: Anxious to begin building? We hear you- with this rule, players do not have to own a complete set of properties before they start to build houses.
For more information on MONOPOLY, go to www.monopoly.com or Facebook.com/monopoly.Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) is a branded play company dedicated to fulfilling the fundamental need for play for children and families through the creative expression of the Company’s world class brand portfolio, including TRANSFORMERS, MONOPOLY, PLAY-DOH, MY LITTLE PONY, MAGIC: THE GATHERING, NERF and LITTLEST PET SHOP. From toys and games, to television programming, motion pictures, digital gaming and a comprehensive licensing program, Hasbro strives to delight its global customers with innovative play and entertainment experiences, in a variety of forms and formats, anytime and anywhere. The Company's Hasbro Studios develops and produces television programming for more than 170 markets around the world, and for the U.S. on Hub Network, part of a multi-platform joint venture between Hasbro and Discovery Communications (NASDAQ: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK). Through the company's deep commitment to corporate social responsibility, including philanthropy, Hasbro is helping to build a safe and sustainable world for future generations and to positively impact the lives of millions of children and families every year. It has been recognized for its efforts by being named one of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" and is ranked as one of Corporate Responsibility Magazine's "100 Best Corporate Citizens." Learn more at www.hasbro.com. © 2014, Hasbro, Inc. Methodological Notes: The Monopoly Rules Survey was conducted by Wakefield Research ( www.wakefieldresearch.com) among 1,000 nationally representative U.S. adults ages 18+, between March 6th and March 13th, 2014, using an email invitation and an online survey. Quotas have been set to ensure reliable and accurate representation of the U.S. adult population 18+. Results of any sample are subject to sampling variation. The magnitude of the variation is measurable and is affected by the number of interviews and the level of the percentages expressing the results. For the interviews conducted in this particular study, the chances are 95 in 100 that a survey result does not vary, plus or minus, by more than 3.1 percentage points from the result that would be obtained if interviews had been conducted with all persons in the universe represented by the sample. HASGP