Interesting May Stock Options For AGNC

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is American Capital Agency Corp (AGNC). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the May expiration for AGNC.The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $21 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of 34 cents. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 1.6% return against the $21 commitment, or a 10.9% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost AGNC Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to AGNC's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless American Capital Agency Corp sees its shares fall 5.8% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $20.66 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the 34 cents from $21), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 10.9% annualized rate of return.

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the May expiration, for shareholders of American Capital Agency Corp ( AGNC) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 11.7% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $23 strike and collecting the premium based on the 10 cents bid, annualizes to an additional 3% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 14.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $23 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but AGNC shares would have to advance 3.2% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 3.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost AGNC Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for American Capital Agency Corp, highlighting in green where the $21 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $23 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the May put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for American Capital Agency Corp (considering the last 251 trading day AGNC historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $22.29) to be 32%.

More from Stocks

Video: There Are Some Big Changes Coming to the PGA Championships in 2019

Video: There Are Some Big Changes Coming to the PGA Championships in 2019

Tesla's Supercharger Network Is Booming -- Here's Why That's a Concern

Tesla's Supercharger Network Is Booming -- Here's Why That's a Concern

Attention 60 Minutes: Google Isn't the Only Big-Tech Monopoly

Attention 60 Minutes: Google Isn't the Only Big-Tech Monopoly

Tesla CEO Elon Musk Is a Rock Star: Kiss Icon Gene Simmons

Tesla CEO Elon Musk Is a Rock Star: Kiss Icon Gene Simmons

The Best Investment Advice? Stay Diversified

The Best Investment Advice? Stay Diversified