Strategy To YieldBoost Health Care REIT To 9.9% Using Options

Shareholders of Health Care REIT Inc. ( HCN) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 5.5% annualized dividend yield can sell the September covered call at the $60 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.25 bid, which annualizes to an additional 4.4% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $60 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but HCN shares would have to climb 3.5% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 5.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the REITs »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Health Care REIT Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for HCN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 5.5% annualized dividend yield.

HCN+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing HCN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $60 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the September covered call at the $60 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $60. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Health Care REIT Inc. (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $58.10) to be 21%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the HCN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

If you liked this article you might like

Analysts' Actions -- Alaska Air, Canon, Greenlight Capital, Johnson Controls, Welltower and More

REITs Will Be All Right Despite Rising Rates

Bullish and Bearish Reversals in the Market

Welltower Tops Fourth Quarter Estimates

Shakeups at 2 REITs Could Benefit Investors, but It May Take Time