Shareholders of Roper Industries, Inc (ROP - Get Report) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.6% annualized dividend yield can sell the November covered call at the $145 strike and collect the premium based on the $4.20 bid, which annualizes to an additional 4.7% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 5.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $145 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but ROP shares would have to climb 7.9% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 11% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Roper Industries, Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for ROP below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.6% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing ROP's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $145 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the November covered call at the $145 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $145. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Roper Industries, Inc (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $134.24) to be 18%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the ROP Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.
More from Stocks
For Apple Investors, Trump's Unpredictable Trade Policies Have a Silver Lining
It's created an environment of low expectations for the stock, which trades at a much lower multiple compared to other tech giants.
Great Investors Need Good Judgment: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Friday 8/16/19)
Jim Cramer says that, above all else, the thing you really need to be a great investor is good judgment.
General Electric Rebounds as CEO Culp Buys $2M in Shares Following Fraud Claim
GE rises after CEO Larry Culp purchases $2 million worth of shares in the group following reports that its accounting tactics were targeted by the whistleblower who helped bring down Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme.
Stocks End Higher as Bond Easing Tempers Recession Fears
Stocks finished higher Friday as easing bond prices sent investors back to the markets in search of bargains to close out a wild week.