Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Maxwell Technologies ( MXWL) as a "perilous reversal" (up big yesterday but down big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Maxwell Technologies as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MXWL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $24.9 million.
- MXWL has traded 74,389 shares today.
- MXWL is down 3.4% today.
- MXWL was up 9% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MXWL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MXWL NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MXWL: Maxwell Technologies, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, develops, manufactures, and markets energy storage and power delivery products, and microelectronic products worldwide. MXWL has a PE ratio of 63.8. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Maxwell Technologies a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for Maxwell Technologies has been 633,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Maxwell has a market cap of $415.2 million and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. The stock has a beta of 1.01 and a short float of 13.2% with 1.82 days to cover. Shares are up 96.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Maxwell Technologies as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MXWL's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.06 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.37, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, MXWL's share price has jumped by 76.73%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Setting our sights on the months ahead, however, we feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The implication is that its reduced upside potential is not good enough to warrant further investment at this time.
- 43.07% is the gross profit margin for MAXWELL TECHNOLOGIES INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of MXWL's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, MXWL's net profit margin of -7.21% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 198.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $2.87 million to -$2.81 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, MAXWELL TECHNOLOGIES INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Maxwell Technologies Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.