YieldBoost Amgen From 2% To 4.1% Using Options

Shareholders of Amgen (AMGN) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2016 covered call at the $165 strike and collect the premium based on the $4.90 bid, which annualizes to an additional 2.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 4.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $165 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but AMGN shares would have to advance 32% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 35.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the Nasdaq 100 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Amgen Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for AMGN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2% annualized dividend yield.

AMGN+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing AMGN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $165 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2016 covered call at the $165 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $165. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Amgen Inc (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $125.01) to be 28%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the AMGN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 641,188 contracts, with call volume at 1.06M, for a put:call ratio of 0.60 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

3 Great Stocks for Retirees to Own

3 Great Stocks for Retirees to Own

9 Stocks Goldman Sachs Thinks Will Blow Wall Street's Performance Away in 2019

9 Stocks Goldman Sachs Thinks Will Blow Wall Street's Performance Away in 2019

Video: Athens Stock Exchange CEO on What's Next for Greece's Debt Woes

Video: Athens Stock Exchange CEO on What's Next for Greece's Debt Woes

AMD Shares Are Soaring, But How Long Can the Good Times Last?

AMD Shares Are Soaring, But How Long Can the Good Times Last?

Ford CEO Jim Hackett Driving Future of Mobility in Detroit - Ford Jr. Cheers

Ford CEO Jim Hackett Driving Future of Mobility in Detroit - Ford Jr. Cheers