Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Capital Product Partners L.P (NASDAQ: CPLP) shares currently have a dividend yield of 8.60%. Capital Product Partners L.P., a shipping company, provides marine transportation services in Greece. The company has a P/E ratio of 10.68. The average volume for Capital Product Partners L.P has been 307,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. Capital Product Partners L.P has a market cap of $954.3 million and is part of the transportation industry. Shares are up 3.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Capital Product Partners L.P as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's return on equity has been disappointing. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 7.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 22.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 96.36% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 41.60% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- CPLP's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.75 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Despite the fact that CPLP's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 1.77 is high and demonstrates strong liquidity.
- The gross profit margin for CAPITAL PRODUCT PARTNERS LP is rather high; currently it is at 63.83%. Regardless of CPLP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 4.16% trails the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. In comparison to the other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, CAPITAL PRODUCT PARTNERS LP's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Capital Product Partners L.P Ratings Report.
- RNO, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 7.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 24.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for RHINO RESOURCE PARTNERS LP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 32.64%. Regardless of RNO's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 1.25% trails the industry average.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.58, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Despite the fact that RNO's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 0.56 is low and demonstrates weak liquidity.
- RHINO RESOURCE PARTNERS LP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, RHINO RESOURCE PARTNERS LP reported lower earnings of $0.33 versus $1.42 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 124.2% in earnings (-$0.08 versus $0.33).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 91.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $9.38 million to $0.82 million.
- You can view the full Rhino Resource Partners Ratings Report.
- INTX's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.02 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, INTX has a quick ratio of 1.56, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The gross profit margin for INTERSECTIONS INC is rather high; currently it is at 64.86%. Regardless of INTX's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -1.95% trails the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $5.23 million or 62.36% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Commercial Services & Supplies industry and the overall market, INTERSECTIONS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Intersections Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.