Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Chesapeake Energy ( CHK) pushed the Basic Materials sector higher today making it today's featured basic materials winner. The sector as a whole closed the day down 0.5%. By the end of trading, Chesapeake Energy rose $0.34 (1.3%) to $25.86 on light volume. Throughout the day, 5,783,771 shares of Chesapeake Energy exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 9,713,800 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $25.52-$25.88 after having opened the day at $25.65 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $25.52. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that increased today were: Houston American Energy Corporation ( HUSA), up 51.3%, Blackhawk Network Holdings ( HAWK), up 9.6%, Callon Petroleum ( CPE), up 8.3% and Penn West Petroleum ( PWE), up 7.3%.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- You can view the full Chesapeake Energy Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.