While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy." PDL BioPharma (NASDAQ: PDLI) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.00%. PDL BioPharma, Inc. engages in intellectual property asset management and patent portfolio and related assets investment activities. The company has a P/E ratio of 5.15. The average volume for PDL BioPharma has been 2,654,300 shares per day over the past 30 days. PDL BioPharma has a market cap of $1.4 billion and is part of the drugs industry. Shares are up 1.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates PDL BioPharma as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, revenue growth and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, PDL BIOPHARMA INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- PDL BIOPHARMA INC has improved earnings per share by 12.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, PDL BIOPHARMA INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.47 versus $1.15 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.75 versus $1.47).
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 15.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.2%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for PDL BIOPHARMA INC is currently very high, coming in at 91.86%. Regardless of PDLI's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, PDLI's net profit margin of 57.77% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full PDL BioPharma Ratings Report.