Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Vale ( VALE) as a pre-market laggard candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Vale as such a stock due to the following factors:
- VALE has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $285.5 million.
- VALE traded 334,267 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 9:06 AM.
- VALE is down 2.1% today from yesterday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in VALE with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for VALE NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on VALE: Vale S.A. engages in the research, production, and marketing of iron ore and pellets, nickel, fertilizers, copper, coal, manganese, ferroalloys, cobalt, platinum group metals, and precious metals in Brazil and internationally. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.9%. VALE has a PE ratio of 13.1. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Vale a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold. The average volume for Vale has been 19.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Vale has a market cap of $72.3 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are down 8.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Vale as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- VALE's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 8.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for VALE SA is rather high; currently it is at 60.01%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 29.72% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- VALE SA reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, VALE SA reported lower earnings of $0.94 versus $3.87 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.06 versus $0.94).
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $4,632.98 million or 21.96% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow VALE SA is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -35.16%.
- VALE has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 22.67% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- You can view the full Vale Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.