Update (9:35 a.m.): Updated with Thursday market open information.
The stock was rising 0.78% to $55.71 at 9:32 a.m. on Thursday.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CONSOLIDATED EDISON INC as a "buy" with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CONSOLIDATED EDISON INC (ED) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its reasonable valuation levels, good cash flow from operations, growth in earnings per share and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,314.00 million or 36.73% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, CONSOLIDATED EDISON INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -48.32%.
- CONSOLIDATED EDISON INC has improved earnings per share by 12.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CONSOLIDATED EDISON INC reported lower earnings of $3.61 versus $3.86 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.75 versus $3.61).
- Despite the weak revenue results, ED has significantly outperformed against the industry average of 32.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.2%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Multi-Utilities industry average. The net income increased by 13.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $207.00 million to $234.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ED Ratings Report