Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."PVR Partners (NYSE: PVR) shares currently have a dividend yield of 8.10%. PVR Partners, L.P. engages in the gathering and processing of natural gas; and management of coal and natural resource properties in the United States. The company operates in three segments: Eastern Midstream, Midcontinent Midstream, and Coal and Natural Resource Management. The average volume for PVR Partners has been 434,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. PVR Partners has a market cap of $3.1 billion and is part of the energy industry. Shares are up 1.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates PVR Partners as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, good cash flow from operations, increase in stock price during the past year and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- PVR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 132.42% to $24.33 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, PVR PARTNERS LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -52.18%.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- PVR PARTNERS LP's earnings per share declined by 16.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PVR PARTNERS LP continued to lose money by earning -$0.82 versus -$1.60 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.70 versus -$0.82).
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, PVR PARTNERS LP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full PVR Partners Ratings Report.
- LRE's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 3.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 111.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 101.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$15.28 million to $0.28 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $20.59 million or 45.98% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, LRR ENERGY LP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -52.18%.
- The gross profit margin for LRR ENERGY LP is rather high; currently it is at 66.51%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 1.12% trails the industry average.
- LRR ENERGY LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, LRR ENERGY LP reported lower earnings of $0.00 versus $2.42 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an increase in earnings to $0.80 from $0.00.
- You can view the full LRR Energy Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 16.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 33.9%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for THL CREDIT INC is rather high; currently it is at 69.02%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 40.69% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry average. The net income increased by 25.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $6.17 million to $7.76 million.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, THL CREDIT INC has outperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full THL Credit Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.