Spending for College Can Be Nearly as Hard as Saving for It

NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Let's see: Should I select one from Column A, one from B and one from C? Or should I take all from Column A?

In a sense, that's the dilemma faced by many families who have amassed significant college savings spread over several accounts. They may have ordinary taxable savings, plus one or more Section 529 plans and perhaps even a grandparents' trust.

So if you have eight semesters to pay for, the question is: Which funds to use when? It's even more complicated if each type of account has a different mix of stocks, bonds and cash. Your choices will depend to some extent on your best guess about factors you cannot control, such as the ups and downs of the stock market. But here are a few guidelines.

First, tax-favored accounts such as Section 529 plans must be used for higher education or you lose the tax exemption on investment gains. Graduate school counts, but if the child is not likely to go on to graduate school, the 529 plan should be used up sometime during the two or four undergraduate years. (Unless you'd consider transferring the balance to another student, but that's another matter.)

Second, potentially volatile holdings such as individual stocks should probably not be held until the student's junior or senior year, because you don't want to depend on a funding source that could plunge in value just as you need it. You'll worry less if you cash out of risky investments such as individual stocks and volatile mutual funds early on -- near the end of high school or in the first year or so of college.

If you liked this article you might like

Why You May Not Want to Pay Cash, Own Your Home Free and Clear

Now You Can Get That Home Equity Loan in a Comfortable Hybrid

If Retirement Health Care Costs Look Scary, Try These Tactics

Why Buying Bonds With Negative Yield Isn’t as Weird as It Sounds

Investors Turning to Dividend-Paying Stocks See Benefits of Buybacks, But Must Heed Caveats