Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Colony Financial ( CLNY) as a pre-market mover with heavy volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Colony Financial as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CLNY has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $19.2 million.
- CLNY traded 94,000 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:19 AM, representing 10.9% of its average daily volume.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CLNY with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CLNY NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on CLNY: Colony Financial, Inc. operates as a real estate investment and finance company in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 6.1%. CLNY has a PE ratio of 16.2. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Colony Financial a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold. The average volume for Colony Financial has been 773,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. Colony Financial has a market cap of $1.8 billion and is part of the financial sector and real estate industry. The stock has a beta of 1.02 and a short float of 6.2% with 4.57 days to cover. Shares are up 13.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Colony Financial as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, compelling growth in net income, expanding profit margins, increase in stock price during the past year and growth in earnings per share. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CLNY's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 6.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 78.8%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 60.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $18.88 million to $30.26 million.
- The gross profit margin for COLONY FINANCIAL INC is currently very high, coming in at 78.13%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 51.79% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- The stock price has risen over the past year, but, despite its earnings growth and some other positive factors, it has underperformed the S&P 500 so far. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- COLONY FINANCIAL INC has improved earnings per share by 9.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, COLONY FINANCIAL INC reported lower earnings of $1.19 versus $1.34 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.80 versus $1.19).
- You can view the full Colony Financial Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.