Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Alcoa ( AA) pushed the Basic Materials sector higher today making it today's featured basic materials winner. The sector as a whole closed the day down 0.3%. By the end of trading, Alcoa rose $0.43 (3.7%) to $12.05 on average volume. Throughout the day, 32,763,520 shares of Alcoa exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 27,432,200 shares. The stock ranged in a price between $11.54-$12.16 after having opened the day at $11.65 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $11.62. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that increased today were: Amyris ( AMRS), up 26.4%, Synthesis Energy Sys ( SYMX), up 12.6%, Walter Energy ( WLT), up 9.9% and Sociedad Quimica Y Minera De Chile ( SQM), up 7.9%.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
- You can view the full Alcoa Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.