YieldBoost Raven Industries From 1.3% To 12.6% Using Options

Shareholders of Raven Industries, Inc. (RAVN) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.3% annualized dividend yield can sell the August covered call at the $40 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.00 bid, which annualizes to an additional 11.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 12.6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $40 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but RAVN shares would have to advance 5.8% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 11.1% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Raven Industries, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for RAVN below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.3% annualized dividend yield.

RAVN+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing RAVN's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $40 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the August covered call at the $40 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $40. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Raven Industries, Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $37.82) to be 27%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the RAVN Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 670,360 contracts, with call volume at 1.31M, for a put:call ratio of 0.51 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

Tesla CEO Elon Musk Is a Rock Star: Kiss Icon Gene Simmons

Tesla CEO Elon Musk Is a Rock Star: Kiss Icon Gene Simmons

The Best Investment Advice? Stay Diversified

The Best Investment Advice? Stay Diversified

Attention 60 Minutes: Google Isn't the Only Big-Tech Monopoly

Attention 60 Minutes: Google Isn't the Only Big-Tech Monopoly

Listen: Should You Buy Cisco Now?

Listen: Should You Buy Cisco Now?

Amazon Could Devastate Walgreens and Rite Aid by Getting Into Pharmacy Business

Amazon Could Devastate Walgreens and Rite Aid by Getting Into Pharmacy Business