Strategy To YieldBoost AAON To 8.4% Using Options

Shareholders of AAON, Inc. (AAON) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.7% annualized dividend yield can sell the July covered call at the $35 strike and collect the premium based on the 90 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 7.7% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 8.4% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $35 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but AAON shares would have to climb 19.2% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 22.2% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of AAON, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for AAON below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.7% annualized dividend yield.

AAON+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing AAON's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $35 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the July covered call at the $35 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $35. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for AAON, Inc. (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $29.32) to be 33%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the AAON Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 851,328 contracts, with call volume at 1.57M, for a put:call ratio of 0.54 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents very high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are preferring calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

More from Stocks

Harley-Davidson to Shift Some U.S. Production in Wake of Tariffs

Harley-Davidson to Shift Some U.S. Production in Wake of Tariffs

Dow Falls Sharply as Wall Street Weighs Trump's New Trade Threats

Dow Falls Sharply as Wall Street Weighs Trump's New Trade Threats

Why 5 Big Industrial Stocks Are Being Rocked By Trade War Fears

Why 5 Big Industrial Stocks Are Being Rocked By Trade War Fears

Intel Gets a Downgrade Following CEO Resignation

Intel Gets a Downgrade Following CEO Resignation

Trump's Obsession With Winning His China Trade War Could Pummel Investors

Trump's Obsession With Winning His China Trade War Could Pummel Investors