Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Six Flags Entertainment (NYSE: SIX) shares currently have a dividend yield of 5.00%. Six Flags Entertainment Corporation owns and operates regional theme, water, and zoological parks. The company's parks offer various state-of-the-art and traditional thrill rides, water attractions, themed areas, concerts and shows, restaurants, game venues, and retail outlets. The company has a P/E ratio of 16.37. The average volume for Six Flags Entertainment has been 555,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Six Flags Entertainment has a market cap of $3.6 billion and is part of the leisure industry. Shares are up 3.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. TheStreet Ratings rates Six Flags Entertainment as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, notable return on equity, expanding profit margins and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- SIX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 4.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Hotels, Restaurants & Leisure industry and the overall market, SIX FLAGS ENTERTAINMENT CORP's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for SIX FLAGS ENTERTAINMENT CORP is rather high; currently it is at 66.10%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 23.86% is above that of the industry average.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- SIX FLAGS ENTERTAINMENT CORP's earnings per share declined by 43.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SIX FLAGS ENTERTAINMENT CORP turned its bottom line around by earning $3.04 versus -$0.25 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 71.4% in earnings ($0.87 versus $3.04).
- You can view the full Six Flags Entertainment Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 2.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 44.1%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- BUCKEYE PARTNERS LP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, BUCKEYE PARTNERS LP increased its bottom line by earning $3.05 versus $2.31 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.80 versus $3.05).
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 114.28% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 35.53% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. We feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The other strengths this company shows, however, justify the higher price levels.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 336.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $34.96 million to -$82.75 million.
- The gross profit margin for BUCKEYE PARTNERS LP is currently extremely low, coming in at 10.93%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -4.99% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Buckeye Partners L.P Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 19.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- WEINGARTEN REALTY INVST reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, WEINGARTEN REALTY INVST increased its bottom line by earning $0.45 versus $0.15 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.35 versus $0.45).
- 41.29% is the gross profit margin for WEINGARTEN REALTY INVST which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 33.12% is above that of the industry average.
- In its most recent trading session, WRI has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, WEINGARTEN REALTY INVST's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Weingarten Realty Investors Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.