Shares of Vitamin Shoppe were falling to 5.76% to $41.70 at 2:50 p.m. on Friday on a higher-than-average volume of more than 1.4 million, compared to the average of 523,066.
Vitamin Shoppe is scheduled to release its own fourth-quarter earnings on Tuesday, Feb. 25.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expect earnings per share of 38 cents on $255.38 million in revenue for the fourth quarter. For the full year, the consensus estimate calls for $2.28 per share on $1.09 billion in sales.
TheStreet Ratings team rates VITAMIN SHOPPE INC as a "buy" with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate VITAMIN SHOPPE INC (VSI) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth and reasonable valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- VSI's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 7.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- VITAMIN SHOPPE INC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, VITAMIN SHOPPE INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.02 versus $1.52 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.28 versus $2.02).
- Looking at the price performance of VSI's shares over the past 12 months, there is not much good news to report: the stock is down 27.11%, and it has underformed the S&P 500 Index. In addition, the company's earnings per share are lower today than the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it is one of the factors that makes this stock an attractive investment.
- The gross profit margin for VITAMIN SHOPPE INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 34.15%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 5.97% trails that of the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: VSI Ratings Report