Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Itron ( ITRI) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Itron as such a stock due to the following factors:
- ITRI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $25.2 million.
- ITRI has traded 360,030 shares today.
- ITRI is up 4.1% today.
- ITRI was down 14.2% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ITRI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ITRI NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on ITRI: Itron, Inc. provides metering solutions, meter data management software, and knowledge application solutions to electric, natural gas, and water utilities worldwide. ITRI has a PE ratio of 20.6. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Itron a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold. The average volume for Itron has been 340,600 shares per day over the past 30 days. Itron has a market cap of $1.5 billion and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. The stock has a beta of 2.08 and a short float of 9.3% with 4.56 days to cover. Shares are down 5.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Itron as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its good cash flow from operations and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $46.90 million or 5.13% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -17.63%.
- ITRI, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 4.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.7%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, ITRON INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for ITRON INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 33.18%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -1.48% trails that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Itron Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.