Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Cablevision Systems ( CVC) as a "storm the castle" (crossing above the 200-day simple moving average on higher than normal relative volume) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Cablevision Systems as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CVC has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $68.7 million.
- CVC has traded 2.3 million shares today.
- CVC is trading at 2.33 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- CVC crossed above its 200-day simple moving average.
'Storm the Castle' stocks are worth watching because trading stocks that begin to experience a breakout can lead to potentially massive profits. Once psychological and technical resistance barriers like the 200-day moving average are breached on higher than normal relative volume, the stock is then free to find new buyers and momentum traders who can ultimately push the stock significantly higher. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize on. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CVC with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CVC NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on CVC: Cablevision Systems Corporation provides telecommunications and media services. It operates in two segments, Telecommunications Services and Other. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.5%. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Cablevision Systems a buy, 3 analysts rate it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold. The average volume for Cablevision Systems has been 3.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Cablevision Systems has a market cap of $3.6 billion and is part of the services sector and media industry. The stock has a beta of 1.15 and a short float of 21.3% with 9.36 days to cover. Shares are down 8.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Cablevision Systems as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in stock price during the past year, compelling growth in net income and revenue growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that we feel that the company's cash flow from its operations has been weak overall. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Media industry. The net income increased by 7871.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$3.79 million to $294.60 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 3.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- CABLEVISION SYS CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CABLEVISION SYS CORP reported lower earnings of $0.23 versus $0.84 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.36 versus $0.23).
- The gross profit margin for CABLEVISION SYS CORP is rather high; currently it is at 51.06%. Regardless of CVC's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CVC's net profit margin of 18.79% compares favorably to the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $303.72 million or 19.06% when compared to the same quarter last year. In conjunction, when comparing current results to the industry average, CABLEVISION SYS CORP has marginally lower results.
- You can view the full Cablevision Systems Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.