Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Vantiv ( VNTV) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Vantiv as such a stock due to the following factors:
- VNTV has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $40.0 million.
- VNTV has traded 2.2 million shares today.
- VNTV traded in a range 236.9% of the normal price range with a price range of $1.81.
- VNTV traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 7 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 7 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in VNTV with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for VNTV NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on VNTV: Vantiv, Inc. provides electronic integrated payment processing services in the United States. It operates in two segments, Merchant Services and Financial Institution Services. VNTV has a PE ratio of 36.3. Currently there are 10 analysts that rate Vantiv a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold. The average volume for Vantiv has been 1.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Vantiv has a market cap of $4.5 billion and is part of the services sector and diversified services industry. Shares are down 5.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Vantiv as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 20.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 14.1%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- VANTIV INC has improved earnings per share by 26.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, VANTIV INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.45 versus $0.12 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.55 versus $0.45).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the IT Services industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, VANTIV INC has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $42.73 million or 62.58% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.78 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, VNTV maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.72, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- You can view the full Vantiv Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.