Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Ctrip.com International ( CTRP) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Ctrip.com International as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CTRP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $153.7 million.
- CTRP has traded 3.6 million shares today.
- CTRP traded in a range 236.4% of the normal price range with a price range of $4.99.
- CTRP traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 34 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 34 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CTRP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CTRP NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on CTRP: Ctrip.com International, Ltd., together with its subsidiaries, provides travel service for hotel accommodations, airline tickets, packaged tours, and corporate travel management in the People's Republic of China. CTRP has a PE ratio of 53.4. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate Ctrip.com International a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for Ctrip.com International has been 4.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Ctrip.com International has a market cap of $5.4 billion and is part of the services sector and leisure industry. Shares are down 15.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Ctrip.com International as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, compelling growth in net income and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 15.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 34.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- CTRP's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.21 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.48, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 81.81% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 78.28% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, CTRP should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Internet & Catalog Retail industry. The net income increased by 97.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $30.84 million to $60.95 million.
- The gross profit margin for CTRIP.COM INTL LTD is currently very high, coming in at 75.40%. Regardless of CTRP's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CTRP's net profit margin of 24.20% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- You can view the full Ctrip.com International Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.