How To YieldBoost Beam From 1.1% To 1.8% Using Options

Shareholders of Beam ( BEAM) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.1% annualized dividend yield can sell the June covered call at the $85 strike and collect the premium based on the 20 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 0.7% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 1.8% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $85 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but BEAM shares would have to climb 2% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 2.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Beam Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for BEAM below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.1% annualized dividend yield.


Below is a chart showing BEAM's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $85 strike highlighted in red:

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June covered call at the $85 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $85. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Beam Inc (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $83.31) to be 27%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the BEAM Stock Options page of

In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 593,142 contracts, with call volume at 1.01M, for a put:call ratio of 0.59 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

If you liked this article you might like

Bourbon Whiskey -- A Brief History of This All-American Drink

Super Mario Gabelli of Gamco Is King of M&A, as Hillshire Deal Shows

Strong And Under The Radar: Beam (BEAM)

Has America really drunk its fill of these 5 beverage stocks?

David Beckham and Simon Fuller Raise Diageo's Drinks, Bottom Line