Shareholders of Spectra Energy (SE) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 3.6% annualized dividend yield can sell the September covered call at the $38 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.35 bid, which annualizes to an additional 6% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 9.6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $38 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but SE shares would have to advance 2.3% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 5.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Spectra Energy Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for SE below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 3.6% annualized dividend yield. Below is a chart showing SE's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $38 strike highlighted in red: The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the September covered call at the $38 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $38. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Spectra Energy Corp (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $37.15) to be 19%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the SE Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com. In mid-afternoon trading on Wednesday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 593,142 contracts, with call volume at 1.01M, for a put:call ratio of 0.59 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.
HOST // Robert Powell
Retirement Planning Event
More from Stocks
Stocks Edge Higher, Taking Cues From Bond Markets, As US Curve Remains Inverted
Global stocks edged cautiously higher Tuesday, with investors taking cues from fixed income markets, as concerns over the pace of growth in the world's largest economy, as well as political and trade uncertainty in Europe and Asia, continue to dampen sentiment.
'A Billion Pockets': Apple's Installed Base Is the Real Star of Its Service Push
Apple brought out some of Hollywood's heavy hitters to show off its new services offerings, which included Apple TV+, Apple TV Channels, Apple News+ and Apple Card. But for investors, the real draw may be Apple's 1.4 billion installed base.
Nike Shares Active as Extortion Charges Brought Against Lawyer Michael Avenatti
Nike shares were active Monday after the U.S. Justice Department said it would charge controversial attorney Michael Avenatti with charges of extortion just minutes after he tweeted about exposing a "major high school basketball scandal" linked to the world's biggest sportswear company.
Bears Unable to Build Momentum Off Yield Curve Issue
At this juncture the action is looking like nothing more than a routine pullback of an extended market.