YieldBoost MarketAxess Holdings From 1.1% To 10.7% Using Options

Shareholders of MarketAxess Holdings ( MKTX) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.1% annualized dividend yield can sell the August covered call at the $65 strike and collect the premium based on the $2.95 bid, which annualizes to an additional 9.6% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 10.7% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $65 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but MKTX shares would have to advance 7.8% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 12.7% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of MarketAxess Holdings Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for MKTX below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.1% annualized dividend yield.

MKTX+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing MKTX's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $65 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the August covered call at the $65 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $65. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for MarketAxess Holdings Inc. (considering the last 252 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $60.10) to be 26%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the MKTX Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

If you liked this article you might like

Long Live the FAANNG Stocks: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Tuesday 12/19/17)

Long Live the FAANNG Stocks: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Tuesday 12/19/17)

FANG Stocks Only Outperform in Odd Years: Here Are 18 Alternative Picks for 2018

FANG Stocks Only Outperform in Odd Years: Here Are 18 Alternative Picks for 2018

New Lifetime High For MarketAxess Holdings (MKTX)

New Lifetime High For MarketAxess Holdings (MKTX)

CBOE, MKTX And HDS, 3 Financial Services Stocks Pushing The Industry Lower

CBOE, MKTX And HDS, 3 Financial Services Stocks Pushing The Industry Lower

Today's Strong And Under The Radar Stock Is MarketAxess Holdings (MKTX)

Today's Strong And Under The Radar Stock Is MarketAxess Holdings (MKTX)