Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Barrick Gold Corporation ( ABX) as a pre-market leader candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Barrick Gold Corporation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- ABX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $273.9 million.
- ABX traded 19,221 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 7:46 AM.
- ABX is up 2% today from Friday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ABX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ABX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on ABX: Barrick Gold Corporation engages in the production and sale of gold and copper. It is also involved in exploration and mine development activities. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.1%. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Barrick Gold Corporation a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 14 rate it a hold. The average volume for Barrick Gold Corporation has been 15.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Barrick has a market cap of $21.5 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are up 7.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Barrick Gold Corporation as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- BARRICK GOLD CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, BARRICK GOLD CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$0.56 versus $4.48 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 73.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $649.00 million to $172.00 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.13 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, ABX maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.81, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, BARRICK GOLD CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 43.53%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 72.72% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- You can view the full Barrick Gold Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.