Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Marathon Petroleum ( MPC) pushed the Basic Materials sector lower today making it today's featured Basic Materials laggard. The sector as a whole closed the day up 0.3%. By the end of trading, Marathon Petroleum fell $1.95 (-2.3%) to $82.52 on average volume. Throughout the day, 3,107,855 shares of Marathon Petroleum exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 3,879,700 shares. The stock ranged in price between $82.03-$84.50 after having opened the day at $84.50 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $84.47. Other companies within the Basic Materials sector that declined today were: Boardwalk Pipeline Partners ( BWP), down 46.0%, Timberline Resources Corporation ( TLR), down 21.4%, Pedevco ( PED), down 11.1% and North American Palladium ( PAL), down 7.7%.
- EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass
- You can view the full Marathon Petroleum Ratings Report.
- Use our basic materials section to find sector-relevant news.
- Or find some new ideas from our top rated stocks lists.
- Find other investment ideas from our top rated ETFs lists.