Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Costco Wholesale Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for COST below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.1% annualized dividend yield.

COST+Dividend+History+Chart

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the March expiration, for shareholders of Costco Wholesale Corp ( COST) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.1% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $115 strike and collecting the premium based on the $1.88 bid, annualizes to an additional 15.2% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 16.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $115 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but COST shares would have to advance 1.6% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 3.3% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost COST Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Costco Wholesale Corp, highlighting in green where the $110 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $115 strike in red:

If you liked this article you might like

Here's How to Invest Like a Billionaire

Cramer: How to Avoid Being Amazon Roadkill

How to Invest Like Billionaire Warren Buffett

How to Live Just Like Billionaire Warren Buffett

5 Stores With the Best Return Policies