Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Buy."Solar Capital (NASDAQ: SLRC) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.30%. Solar Capital Ltd. is a business development company specializing in investments in leveraged middle market companies. The company has a P/E ratio of 13.47. The average volume for Solar Capital has been 209,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Solar Capital has a market cap of $972.2 million and is part of the financial services industry. Shares are down 2.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. TheStreet Ratings rates Solar Capital as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, expanding profit margins and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 16.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for SOLAR CAPITAL LTD is rather high; currently it is at 66.03%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 24.58% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 728.42% to $260.79 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, SOLAR CAPITAL LTD has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 149.77%.
- SOLAR CAPITAL LTD has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SOLAR CAPITAL LTD increased its bottom line by earning $3.12 versus $1.69 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 39.4% in earnings ($1.89 versus $3.12).
- You can view the full Solar Capital Ratings Report.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, NMM's share price has jumped by 31.87%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- NMM's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.75 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 3.38 is very high and demonstrates very strong liquidity.
- The gross profit margin for NAVIOS MARITIME PARTNERS LP is currently very high, coming in at 91.59%. Regardless of NMM's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, NMM's net profit margin of 19.41% compares favorably to the industry average.
- NMM, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 11.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.2%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Navios Maritime Partners L.P Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 1.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 27.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- CLMT's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.72 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 0.79 is weak.
- CALUMET SPECIALTY PRODS -LP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CALUMET SPECIALTY PRODS -LP increased its bottom line by earning $3.53 versus $0.89 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 94.5% in earnings ($0.19 versus $3.53).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 182.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $42.42 million to -$34.80 million.
- The share price of CALUMET SPECIALTY PRODS -LP has not done very well: it is down 16.52% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Despite the stock's decline during the last year, it is still somewhat more expensive (in proportion to its earnings over the last year) than most other stocks in its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays offset this slight negative.
- You can view the full Calumet Specialty Products Partners Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.