Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified NXP Semiconductor ( NXPI) as a momo momentum candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified NXP Semiconductor as such a stock due to the following factors:
- NXPI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $151.5 million.
- NXPI has a PE ratio of 1566.7.
- NXPI is currently in the upper 30% of its 1-year range.
- NXPI is in the upper 25% of its 20-day range.
- NXPI is in the upper 35% of its 5-day range.
- NXPI is currently trading above yesterday's high.
- NXPI has experienced a gap between today's open and yesterday's close of 0.6%.
'Momo Momentum' stocks are valuable stocks to watch for a variety of reasons including historical back testing and price action. Market technicians refer to such stocks as being in a mark-up phase before a possible distribution period and price decline. Technical analysts and traders frequently find that the factors referenced above tend to create a temporary burst of strong wind in a stock's sail. Nevertheless, all successful traders must excel at maximizing gains while keeping losses to an absolute minimum. For that reason, the holding period on momo momentum stocks must always be a primary consideration, and this part of the puzzle is ultimately at the discretion of each individual's risk tolerance and portfolio risk management skills. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NXPI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NXPI NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on NXPI: NXP Semiconductors N.V. provides mixed signal and standard product solutions for radio frequency (RF), analog, power management, interface, security, and digital processing products worldwide. It provides integrated circuits (ICs) and discrete semiconductors. NXPI has a PE ratio of 1566.7. Currently there are 10 analysts that rate NXP Semiconductor a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold. The average volume for NXP Semiconductor has been 2.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. NXP Semiconductor has a market cap of $11.6 billion and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. The stock has a beta of 2.55 and a short float of 0.8% with 0.40 days to cover. Shares are up 2.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates NXP Semiconductor as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, compelling growth in net income and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company has favored debt over equity in the management of its balance sheet. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- NXPI's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 4.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry average. The net income increased by 34.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $115.00 million to $155.00 million.
- NXP SEMICONDUCTORS NV has improved earnings per share by 33.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NXP SEMICONDUCTORS NV reported poor results of -$0.48 versus -$0.20 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.24 versus -$0.48).
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, NXP SEMICONDUCTORS NV's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 3.08 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, NXPI maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.95, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- You can view the full NXP Semiconductor Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.