Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified Public Storage ( PSA) as a "storm the castle" (crossing above the 200-day simple moving average on higher than normal relative volume) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Public Storage as such a stock due to the following factors:
- PSA has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $117.1 million.
- PSA has traded 395,857 shares today.
- PSA is trading at 1.51 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- PSA crossed above its 200-day simple moving average.
'Storm the Castle' stocks are worth watching because trading stocks that begin to experience a breakout can lead to potentially massive profits. Once psychological and technical resistance barriers like the 200-day moving average are breached on higher than normal relative volume, the stock is then free to find new buyers and momentum traders who can ultimately push the stock significantly higher. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize on. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PSA with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PSA NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on PSA: Public Storage operates as a real estate investment trust (REIT). It engages in the acquisition, development, ownership, and operation of self-storage facilities in the United States and Europe. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.5%. PSA has a PE ratio of 33.0. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Public Storage a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 11 rate it a hold. The average volume for Public Storage has been 706,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Public has a market cap of $27.1 billion and is part of the financial sector and real estate industry. The stock has a beta of 0.82 and a short float of 2.1% with 3.91 days to cover. Shares are up 4.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Public Storage as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its impressive record of earnings per share growth, revenue growth, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations and increase in stock price during the past year. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- PUBLIC STORAGE has improved earnings per share by 20.7% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, PUBLIC STORAGE increased its bottom line by earning $3.84 versus $3.27 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.84 versus $3.84).
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 9.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for PUBLIC STORAGE is rather high; currently it is at 50.74%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 53.43% significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $367.09 million or 4.89% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, PUBLIC STORAGE has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -0.44%.
- In its most recent trading session, PSA has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- You can view the full Public Storage Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.