Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. Trade-Ideas LLC identified SunPower Corporation ( SPWR) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified SunPower Corporation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SPWR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $78.2 million.
- SPWR has traded 70,843 shares today.
- SPWR is up 3.7% today.
- SPWR was down 10% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SPWR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SPWR NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on SPWR: SunPower Corporation, an integrated solar products and solutions company, designs, manufactures, and delivers solar electric systems for residential, commercial, and utility-scale power plant customers worldwide. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate SunPower Corporation a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold. The average volume for SunPower Corporation has been 2.9 million shares per day over the past 30 days. SunPower has a market cap of $3.9 billion and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. The stock has a beta of 3.52 and a short float of 32.6% with 5.24 days to cover. Shares are up 8.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates SunPower Corporation as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 278.04% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 321.14% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- SUNPOWER CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, SUNPOWER CORP continued to lose money by earning -$3.01 versus -$6.14 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.41 versus -$3.01).
- SPWR's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.89 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 0.98 is weak.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, SUNPOWER CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for SUNPOWER CORP is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 25.26%. Regardless of SPWR's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 16.49% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full SunPower Corporation Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.