But this still gives us something to think about. We decided to create a list of stocks in countries with high income inequality, and compare them with stocks based in countries with low income inequality, as measured by the Gini Coefficient. The Gini Coefficient is a figure published by the World Bank that looks strictly at a nation's distribution of wealth (but not how much wealth there is in total.)We chose four stocks from Scandinavia, which has the lowest income inequality in the world, and three stocks from Hong Kong and South Africa, which have fairly high Gini Coefficients, meaning they have higher rates of income inequality. Click on the interactive chart below to view data over time. These stocks are based in countries that have low rates of income inequality, indicated by a low number for the Gini Coefficient. 1. Autoliv, Inc. ( ALV): Develops, manufactures, and supplies automotive safety systems to automotive industry. Market cap at $8.41B, most recent closing price at $87.61. Based in Sweden which has a Gini Coefficient of 25, one of the lowest in the world.
2. LM Ericsson Telephone Co. ( ERIC): Provides communications equipment, professional services, and multimedia solutions to mobile and fixed networks operators worldwide. Market cap at $39.77B, most recent closing price at $11.95. Based in Sweden which has a Gini Coefficient of 25, one of the lowest in the world.
3. Statoil ASA ( STO): Engages in the exploration, production, transportation, refining, and marketing of petroleum and petroleum-derived products. Market cap at $76.65B, most recent closing price at $24.08. Based in Norway which has a Gini Coefficient of 25.8.
4. Novo Nordisk A/S ( NVO): Engages in the discovery, development, manufacture, and marketing of pharmaceutical products in Denmark and internationally. Market cap at $102.19B, most recent closing price at $37.37. Based in Denmark, which has a Gini Coefficient of 24.
These stocks are based in countries that have high rates of income inequality, indicated by a high number for the Gini Coefficient.5. Michael Kors Holdings Ltd. ( KORS): Engages in the design, marketing, distribution, and retailing of branded women's apparel and accessories, and men's apparel. Market cap at $16.37B, most recent closing price at $78.74. Based in Hong Kong, which has a 53.3 Gini Coefficient.
6. Melco Crown Entertainment Ltd. ( MPEL): Engages in the development, ownership, and operation of casino gaming and entertainment resort facilities primarily in Macau. Market cap at $22.39B, most recent closing price at $39.78. Based in Hong Kong, which has a 53.3 Gini Coeffficient.
7. AngloGold Ashanti Ltd. ( AU): Engages in the exploration and production of gold. Market cap at $5.52B, most recent closing price at $14.71. Based in South Africa, which has a 63.1 Gini Coefficient. ( List compiled by James Dennin, a Kapitall Writer. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research. Gini Coefficients sourced from The World Bank's Database. All other data sourced from Yahoo! Finance.) Video © 2014 Hedgeye Risk Management LLC. The information contained in the video herein is the property of Hedgeye, which reserves all rights thereto. Redistribution of any part of this information is prohibited without the express written consent of Hedgeye. Hedgeye is not responsible for any errors in or omissions to this information, or for any consequences that may result from the use of this information.