Mary-Lynn Cesar, Kapitall: Increasing confidence among consumers inspired us to find undervalued consumer goods stocks.
Consumer confidence in the US rose in January, continuing December’s rebound after three consecutive months of decline this past fall. The Conference Board Consumer Confidence index rose to 80.7 this month, up from 77.5 in December.
Read more from Kapitall: 2 Bellwether Stocks to Watch as Macro Headwinds Weigh on Markets
Each month, Nielsen conducts a Consumer Confidence Survey for the Conference Board in which respondents share their views of current business conditions. In January, survey participants provided the following assessments:
Business conditions are good: 21.5% vs. 20.2% in December
Business conditions are bad: 22.8% vs. 23.2% in December
Jobs are plentiful: 12.7% vs.11.9% in December
Jobs are hard to get: 32.6% vs. 32.9% in December
Click on the interactive chart below to see sales data over time.Do you think rising consumer confidence means that these consumer goods stocks have serious upside potential? Use this list as a starting point for your own analysis. 1. Wabash National Corp ( WNC): Engages in the design, manufacture, and marketing of truck trailers and related transportation equipment primarily in North America. Market cap at $914.99M, most recent closing price at $13.36. PEG at 0.53. P/FCF at 10.8. ROE at 40.30% vs. an industry average of -38.94%.
2. Schweitzer-Mauduit International Inc. ( SWM): Manufactures and sells paper and reconstituted tobacco products to the tobacco industry, as well as specialized paper products for use in other applications. Market cap at $1.40B, most recent closing price at $45.15. PEG at 0.86. P/FCF at 12.59. ROE at 19.00% vs. an industry average of 3.48%.
3. Oshkosh Corporation ( OSK): Designs, manufactures, and markets a range of access equipment, specialty vehicles, and vehicle bodies worldwide. Market cap at $4.44B, most recent closing price at $51.41. PEG at 0.85. P/FCF at 11.75. ROE at 18.60% vs. an industry average of -38.94%.
4. Nu Skin Enterprises Inc. ( NUS): Develops and distributes anti-aging personal care products and nutritional supplements worldwide. Market cap at $4.72B, most recent closing price at $80.40. PEG at 0.78. P/FCF at 14.93. ROE at 45.20% vs. an industry average of 24.52%.
5. Herbalife Ltd. ( HLF): Sells weight management, nutritional supplement, energy, sports and fitness, and personal care products worldwide. Market cap at $6.55B, most recent closing price at $64.06. PEG at 0.72. P/FCF at 14.06. ROE at 127.00% vs. an industry average of 24.52%.
6. Rock-Tenn Co ( RKT): Manufactures and sells packaging products, recycled paperboards, containerboards, bleached paperboards, and merchandising displays in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Chile, Argentina, and China. Market cap at $7.04B, most recent closing price at $97.42.
PEG at 0.66. P/FCF at 13.63.ROE at 18.70% vs. an industry average of 4.19%.
( List compiled by Mary-Lynn Cesar, a Kapitall Writer. Quarterly sales data sourced from Zack's Investment Research. All other data sourced from Finviz.)