- A new technology trade-in program in the U.S. that lets customers cash-in and recycle online or in-store
- An expanded Staples Rewards ink and toner recycling program online in the U.S.
- In the U.S , Staples has recycled 64 million pounds of e-waste through its free in-store recycling program since 2007
- Through Staples Canada’s recycling program, 71,370 kilograms of batteries have been collected and diverted as of Q3 2013, helping the retailer surpass its goal of collecting 60,000 kilograms in 2013
- The bullfrogpowered® Printers Program in Canada helped reduce emissions by more than 225 tons of CO₂—one month's emissions from over 1,200 homes
- Staples has obtained ISO14001 certification in China, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, and the UK, bringing the total number of facilities with certified environmental management systems to 107
- Staples Advantage Europe has made a significant investment in new packaging machinery in the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, France, Spain, Sweden and Italy using the Jivaro machine. This has resulted in a 30 percent average reduction in shipping volumes, translating into fewer vehicles required to move the product to customers
Staples, Inc. (Nasdaq: SPLS) has been named to the Global 100 Sustainability Index, one of the top measures in corporate sustainability analysis, published by Corporate Knights, a media, research and investment advisory company. Staples is one of two global retailers in the rankings and the only one in North America. “We’re honored to be named to the Global 100 Sustainability Index, recognizing us as one of the most sustainable corporations in the world,” said Mark Buckley, vice president of environmental affairs, Staples. “As a company, we’re committed to making more sustainable choices internally and to offering our customers environmentally and socially responsible products and services, both in-store or online.” Staples helps make more sustainable business practices happen by offering eco-conscious products, providing a range of recycling and green services, maximizing energy efficiency and renewable energy use, and reducing waste. Some of Staples’ recent achievements include: