Interesting September Stock Options for LVS

Consistently, one of the more popular stocks people enter into their stock options watchlist at Stock Options Channel is Las Vegas Sands Corp ( LVS). So this week we highlight one interesting put contract, and one interesting call contract, from the September expiration for LVS. The put contract our YieldBoost algorithm identified as particularly interesting, is at the $65 strike, which has a bid at the time of this writing of $3.95. Collecting that bid as the premium represents a 6.1% return against the $65 commitment, or a 9.4% annualized rate of return (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost).

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost LVS Puts »

Selling a put does not give an investor access to LVS's upside potential the way owning shares would, because the put seller only ends up owning shares in the scenario where the contract is exercised. So unless Las Vegas Sands Corp sees its shares fall 12.6% and the contract is exercised (resulting in a cost basis of $61.05 per share before broker commissions, subtracting the $3.95 from $65), the only upside to the put seller is from collecting that premium for the 9.4% annualized rate of return.

Interestingly, that annualized 9.4% figure actually exceeds the 1.9% annualized dividend paid by Las Vegas Sands Corp by 7.5%, based on the current share price of $74.38. And yet, if an investor was to buy the stock at the going market price in order to collect the dividend, there is greater downside because the stock would have to fall 12.61% to reach the $65 strike price.

Always important when discussing dividends is the fact that, in general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Las Vegas Sands Corp, looking at the dividend history chart for LVS below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.9% annualized dividend yield.

LVS+Dividend+History+Chart

Turning to the other side of the option chain, we highlight one call contract of particular interest for the September expiration, for shareholders of Las Vegas Sands Corp ( LVS) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.9% annualized dividend yield. Selling the covered call at the $82.50 strike and collecting the premium based on the $4.20 bid, annualizes to an additional 8.7% rate of return against the current stock price (this is what we at Stock Options Channel refer to as the YieldBoost), for a total of 10.6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $82.50 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but LVS shares would have to advance 10.9% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 16.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost LVS Calls »

The chart below shows the trailing twelve month trading history for Las Vegas Sands Corp, highlighting in green where the $65 strike is located relative to that history, and highlighting the $82.50 strike in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the September put or call options highlighted in this article deliver a rate of return that represents good reward for the risks. We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Las Vegas Sands Corp (considering the last 251 trading day LVS historical stock prices using closing values, as well as today's price of $74.38) to be 26%.

In mid-afternoon trading on Monday, the put volume among S&P 500 components was 1.05M contracts, with call volume at 1.86M, for a put:call ratio of 0.56 so far for the day. Compared to the long-term median put:call ratio of .65, that represents high call volume relative to puts; in other words, buyers are showing a preference for calls in options trading so far today. Find out which 15 call and put options traders are talking about today.

If you liked this article you might like

Profit With Technical Analysis: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Tuesday 2/20/18)

Profit With Technical Analysis: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Tuesday 2/20/18)

What Are the Odds of a Las Vegas Sands Pullback?

What Are the Odds of a Las Vegas Sands Pullback?

Las Vegas Sands: Hold 'Em or Fold 'Em?

Las Vegas Sands: Hold 'Em or Fold 'Em?

There Is Good and a Lot of Bad in General Electric Earnings

There Is Good and a Lot of Bad in General Electric Earnings

How High Can This Market Go?: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Friday 1/12/18)

How High Can This Market Go?: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Friday 1/12/18)