Strategy To YieldBoost DeVry Education Group To 36.6% Using Options

Shareholders of DeVry Education Group ( DV) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.9% annualized dividend yield can sell the February covered call at the $40 strike and collect the premium based on the 95 cents bid, which annualizes to an additional 35.7% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 36.6% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $40 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but DV shares would have to climb 7% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 9.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the S&P 500 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of DeVry Education Group Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for DV below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.9% annualized dividend yield.

DV+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing DV's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $40 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the February covered call at the $40 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $40. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for DeVry Education Group Inc (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $37.42) to be 39%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the DV Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

If you liked this article you might like

Laureate Education's (LAUR) Underwhelming IPO Hasn't Scared Away Wall Street

Laureate Education's (LAUR) Underwhelming IPO Hasn't Scared Away Wall Street

It's Going to Take More Than Lax Regulation to Turn Around For-Profit Education Sector

It's Going to Take More Than Lax Regulation to Turn Around For-Profit Education Sector

Bank Fees, Payday Loans to Get Less Scrutiny From Trump's Consumer Watchdog

Bank Fees, Payday Loans to Get Less Scrutiny From Trump's Consumer Watchdog

The Small Caps With Cash Portfolio Powers Ahead

The Small Caps With Cash Portfolio Powers Ahead

DeVry's Specialty Schools Shine as Regulatory Risk Hovers Over For-Profit Education

DeVry's Specialty Schools Shine as Regulatory Risk Hovers Over For-Profit Education