Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link. TheStreet Ratings' stock model projects a stock's total return potential over a 12-month period including both price appreciation and dividends. Our Buy, Hold or Sell ratings designate how we expect these stocks to perform against a general benchmark of the equities market and interest rates.
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold."Duke Realty (NYSE: DRE) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.50%. Duke Realty Corporation operates as a real estate investment trust (REIT) in the United States. It offers leasing, property and asset management, development, construction, build-to-suit, and other tenant-related services. The average volume for Duke Realty has been 2,456,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Duke Realty has a market cap of $4.9 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are down 0.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Duke Realty as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, good cash flow from operations and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 107.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$17.15 million to $1.29 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 95.41% to $119.38 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, DUKE REALTY CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 8.60%.
- DUKE REALTY CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, DUKE REALTY CORP reported poor results of -$0.51 versus -$0.27 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.21 versus -$0.51).
- In its most recent trading session, DRE has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The gross profit margin for DUKE REALTY CORP is currently extremely low, coming in at 14.47%. Regardless of DRE's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, DRE's net profit margin of 0.44% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- You can view the full Duke Realty Ratings Report.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 17.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 220.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 36.95% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 86.11% to -$1.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 15.27%.
- The gross profit margin for REGAL ENTERTAINMENT GROUP is rather low; currently it is at 22.33%. Regardless of RGC's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 9.23% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Regal Entertainment Group Ratings Report.
- ARCP's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 9.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 223.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 622.25% to $16.29 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, AMERICAN RLTY CAP PPTY INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 8.60%.
- The gross profit margin for AMERICAN RLTY CAP PPTY INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 5.92%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, ARCP's net profit margin of -97.00% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 365.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$12.69 million to -$59.06 million.
- You can view the full American Realty Capital Properties Inc Clas Ratings Report.
- Our dividend calendar.