How To YieldBoost Agilent Technologies To 4.1% Using Options

Shareholders of Agilent Technologies (A) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.9% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2016 covered call at the $75 strike and collect the premium based on the $3.90 bid, which annualizes to an additional 3.2% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 4.1% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $75 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but A shares would have to climb 24% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 30.4% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks Analysts Like »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Agilent Technologies, Inc., looking at the dividend history chart for A below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.9% annualized dividend yield.

A+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing A's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $75 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2016 covered call at the $75 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $75. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Agilent Technologies, Inc. (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $60.14) to be 22%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the A Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

More from Stocks

Inside Carnival's Mind Blowing New Horizon Cruise Ship (Video)

Inside Carnival's Mind Blowing New Horizon Cruise Ship (Video)

Neel Kashkari: The Heart of Our Financial System Is More Radioactive Than Ever

Neel Kashkari: The Heart of Our Financial System Is More Radioactive Than Ever

Finding Stocks Right for You: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Friday 8/25/18)

Finding Stocks Right for You: Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap (Friday 8/25/18)

Flashback Friday: Amazon, Chip Stocks, Memorial Day

Flashback Friday: Amazon, Chip Stocks, Memorial Day

Week Ahead: Wall Street Looks to Jobs Report as North Korea Meeting Less Certain

Week Ahead: Wall Street Looks to Jobs Report as North Korea Meeting Less Certain