YieldBoost Ameriprise Financial To 13.3% Using Options

Shareholders of Ameriprise Financial Inc ( AMP) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the June covered call at the $115 strike and collect the premium based on the $5.40 bid, which annualizes to an additional 11.5% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 13.3% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $115 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but AMP shares would have to climb 0.9% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 5.6% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks Conducting Buybacks »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Ameriprise Financial Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for AMP below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.8% annualized dividend yield.

AMP+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing AMP's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $115 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the June covered call at the $115 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $115. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Ameriprise Financial Inc (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $113.57) to be 20%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the AMP Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

If you liked this article you might like

5 Things You Must Know Before the Market Opens Monday

Market Recon: The World Is Agog With 'Risk-on' Behavior

Week Ahead: Earnings Come in Thick and Fast in a Middling First-Quarter Reporting Season