YieldBoost Expedia To 27% Using Options

Shareholders of Expedia Inc ( EXPE) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 0.9% annualized dividend yield can sell the February covered call at the $75 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.55 bid, which annualizes to an additional 26.1% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 27% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $75 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but EXPE shares would have to climb 10.6% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 12.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of the Nasdaq 100 »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Expedia Inc, looking at the dividend history chart for EXPE below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 0.9% annualized dividend yield.

EXPE+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing EXPE's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $75 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the February covered call at the $75 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $75. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Expedia Inc (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $67.57) to be 47%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the EXPE Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

If you liked this article you might like

Roku, Nucana and Other IPOs That Should Be on Your Radar in 2017

3 Tech Setups That Look Tantalizing

4 Nice Setups for a Monday Morning

Google's Awkward Relationship With Uber Could Get Even More Complicated

Amazon's Jeff Bezos May Have a Challenger for Biggest Biceps in Silicon Valley