How To YieldBoost Invesco From 2.6% To 11.9% Using Options

Shareholders of Invesco Ltd (IVZ) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 2.6% annualized dividend yield can sell the July covered call at the $36 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.60 bid, which annualizes to an additional 9.3% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 11.9% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $36 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but IVZ shares would have to advance 2.4% from current levels for that to happen, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 6.9% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks with Insider Buying »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Invesco Ltd, looking at the dividend history chart for IVZ below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 2.6% annualized dividend yield.

IVZ+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing IVZ's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $36 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the July covered call at the $36 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $36. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Invesco Ltd (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $34.97) to be 25%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the IVZ Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

More from Stocks

Never Buy Stocks Based on Unusual Call Activity: Doug Kass Insider

Never Buy Stocks Based on Unusual Call Activity: Doug Kass Insider

Will Tesla Stock Tumble 33% to $195?

Will Tesla Stock Tumble 33% to $195?

Is Best Buy Sleeping With the Enemy With Amazon Partnership?

Is Best Buy Sleeping With the Enemy With Amazon Partnership?

Video: The S&P 500 Is Failing to Make New Highs

Video: The S&P 500 Is Failing to Make New Highs

Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq Finish Lower as Apple, P&G Slump

Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq Finish Lower as Apple, P&G Slump