YieldBoost Kroger From 1.8% To 4.2% Using Options

Shareholders of Kroger ( KR) looking to boost their income beyond the stock's 1.8% annualized dividend yield can sell the January 2016 covered call at the $45 strike and collect the premium based on the $1.75 bid, which annualizes to an additional 2.4% rate of return against the current stock price (at Stock Options Channel we call this the YieldBoost), for a total of 4.2% annualized rate in the scenario where the stock is not called away. Any upside above $45 would be lost if the stock rises there and is called away, but KR shares would have to advance 22.3% from current levels for that to occur, meaning that in the scenario where the stock is called, the shareholder has earned a 27% return from this trading level, in addition to any dividends collected before the stock was called.

START SLIDESHOW:
Top YieldBoost Calls of Stocks Conducting Buybacks »

In general, dividend amounts are not always predictable and tend to follow the ups and downs of profitability at each company. In the case of Kroger Co., looking at the dividend history chart for KR below can help in judging whether the most recent dividend is likely to continue, and in turn whether it is a reasonable expectation to expect a 1.8% annualized dividend yield.

KR+Dividend+History+Chart

Below is a chart showing KR's trailing twelve month trading history, with the $45 strike highlighted in red:

Loading+chart++2014+TickerTech.com

The chart above, and the stock's historical volatility, can be a helpful guide in combination with fundamental analysis to judge whether selling the January 2016 covered call at the $45 strike gives good reward for the risk of having given away the upside beyond $45. ( Do most options expire worthless? This and six other common options myths debunked). We calculate the trailing twelve month volatility for Kroger Co. (considering the last 251 trading day closing values as well as today's price of $36.70) to be 20%. For other call options contract ideas at the various different available expirations, visit the KR Stock Options page of StockOptionsChannel.com.

If you liked this article you might like

Jim Cramer: Walmart's Woes Tell Me It's Time to Buy Amazon

Jim Cramer: Walmart's Woes Tell Me It's Time to Buy Amazon

Artificial Intelligence Could Create Global Havoc - Here's How to Invest in It

Artificial Intelligence Could Create Global Havoc - Here's How to Invest in It

Amazon Is Doing Something Really Dumb at Whole Foods

Amazon Is Doing Something Really Dumb at Whole Foods

Cramer: Walmart's Woes Tell Me It's Time to Buy Amazon

Cramer: Walmart's Woes Tell Me It's Time to Buy Amazon

FedEx and UPS Slip on Reports Amazon Planning Business Delivery Service

FedEx and UPS Slip on Reports Amazon Planning Business Delivery Service